Today is Giving Tuesday! Most people know about Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but not everyone knows about Giving Tuesday. Giving Tuesday is a Canadian movement for giving and volunteering, taking place each year after Cyber Monday. Referred to as the “opening day of the giving season” it is a day where charities, companies and individuals join together to share commitments, rally for their favourite causes, and think about others. It is a day that charities reach out to their communities asking for support.
This is the sixth year that the Bernard Betel Centre will be participating in Giving Tuesday and we are asking for our community’s support. Due to COVID-19, many seniors are experiencing a new kind of vulnerability, with the primary overarching concern being food. Limited income, higher cost of food, loss of congregate dining programming, compromised immunity, and difficulties preparing food are just a few of the challenges vulnerable individuals face establishing food security.
We rely on the generous financial support of our donors to help us tackle food insecurity in our community. Did you know…
- Our Kosher Meals on Wheels program provides nutritious and affordable kosher meals to over 600 individuals each week in Toronto and York Region.
- Over 75% of our clients are food insecure, most of whom are marginalized seniors and Holocaust Survivors.
- Poverty and food insecurity affects our clients greatly, with over 80% living off less than $15,000 per year.
- Our incredible team of staff and volunteers cook, pack, label, and deliver between 2,000 and 3,000 meals each week.
- In the past year, the Bernard Betel Centre’s Kosher Meals on Wheels program provided over 140,000 meals to the community.
- 47 volunteers generously donate their time to deliver meals to seniors in our community each week.
We need your help! Consider supporting the Bernard Betel Centre. There are many ways you can give and all gifts are greatly appreciated. How far does your dollar go?
- $13: 1 kosher meal to help feed a senior in our community.
- $36: 3 kosher meals to feed a Holocaust survivor or senior in need.
- $72: 1 weeks’ worth of kosher meals and safety check-in for a lonely, isolated senior.
- $118: brings a kosher meal and a virtual social program to 10 isolated or marginalized seniors.
- $154: 1 weeks’ worth of kosher meals for a senior couple in need.
- $218: 3 weeks’ worth of kosher meals to feed a Holocaust survivor or senior in need.
- $280: 2 weeks’ worth of kosher meals through our Meals on Wheels program to help feed a senior couple in our community.
If you are interested in donating to our Giving Tuesday campaign to help us reach our $18,000 goal, please click HERE. TODAY only, your gift can go even further! If you make a donation of $20 or more HERE, CanadaHelps will contribute an additional $2! If you prefer to donate over the phone, please call 416-225-2112, ext. 0.
Thank you for your generosity and support!