“If you want to touch the past, touch a rock. If you want to touch the present, touch a flower. If you want to touch the future, touch a life.” – Anonymous
The Bernard Betel Centre supports a large population of seniors, and relies on more than 300 member and non-member volunteers to help keep our programs current, exciting and informative. Volunteers are a vital part of our Betel family and we honour our commitment to:
- Provide an environment that treats volunteers fairly, equitably and with respect.
- Provide an opportunity for volunteers to obtain personal growth, learn new skills, develop a sense of commitment, and engage in meaningful activities.
- Remain an integral part of the community through involvement of volunteers.
- Select suitable volunteers to perform duties consistent with the mission, vision and values of the BBC.
- Ensure that each volunteer receives the necessary orientation and training to prepare them for their volunteer role and responsibilities.
- Provide volunteers with appropriate and meaningful recognition for their contributions and service.
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
- Review the current volunteer opportunities posted on our website
- Complete and submit the Volunteer Application form
- Potential volunteers are interviewed to determine what skills, experience and expertise they can bring to the centre and to ensure they are placed in a suitable volunteer position
- Two references are required for all volunteer positions
- A police record check is required for some volunteer positions and must be completed prior to placement
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING
New volunteers receive an orientation to the Bernard Betel Centre. On-the-job training is provided and educational workshops specific to the volunteer role are offered throughout the year. All volunteers are required to complete the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities – Customer Service Standard (AODA) training.
We highly value and appreciate the enormous contribution of our volunteers to the clients and community we serve. We formally recognize our volunteers during National Volunteer Week, at the Annual Volunteer Banquet and through external Volunteer Service Awards. It is the responsibility of all staff to respect the volunteers and consider them valuable members of the team.
For more information about volunteer services at the Bernard Betel Centre, please contact Cheryl Besner at 416-225-2112, ext. 127 or email@example.com.